What do you write in a running blog when you aren’t running… when you’re recovering from injury (or injuries)… when your thoughts are single-minded as you eagerly await your comeback…?
Exactly three months ago, on October 17th, I ran the Long Beach Marathon and developed ITBS, or iliotibial band friction syndrome, severely affecting my right knee and landing me in physical therapy. I limped around with strict orders to rest and stretch and rest some more.
On December 11th, while in Chicago for a wedding, I slipped on an icy sidewalk, cracked the back of my head on the pavement, and landed on my tailbone with such force it knocked the wind out of me. Again, I found myself limping around and swallowing ibuprofen every 4 hours. My head healed within a week, but my tailbone ached and twinged for several weeks…
Until last week, when I ventured onto the treadmill after work and plodded through two miles, shocked and surprised to realize I had absolutely no pain–in my tailbone, knee, or anywhere! I joyfully tacked on another mile and ran my way straight into the most indescribably joyful runner’s high!
Now here I am, with five runs and 15 miles in my log and all of them were finally, FINALLY pain-free!!!!
So here’s to an injury-free, eventful and endlessly joyful 2011! It should come as no surprise that I already have a long list of races to blog about in the very, very near future. After all, I’ve had three long months to plot this comeback!
- 01/23: Carlsbad Half Marathon
- 01/29: Lake Hodges 5k (Trail Run #1)
- 02/06: Surf City Half Marathon
- 02/12: Black Mountain Summit 7k (Trail Run #2)
- 02/13: Coronado Valentine’s Day 10k
- 03/05: Mission Driven Eco Run 10k (Trail Run #3)
- 03/12: St. Patrick’s Day 10k
- 04/03: Carlsbad 5000
- 04/17: La Jolla Half Marathon
- 05/01: Cinco de May Half Marathon
- 06/05: Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon
- 08/21: America’s Finest City Half Marathon